Re: [OM] OM-1 battery fix

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 battery fix
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:58:07 -0800
Tim Hughes wrote:

>The '625 type mercury cells used in the OM1 (N) have a very constant
>1.35V voltage and a bit higher capacity (mAh) than silver oxide cells.
>[...] The voltage of the silver oxide cells is not quite as constant
>as that of mercury cells, and [they] will not work as well over a wide
>temperature range.

Hear, hear! (+ many thanks to Tim for his very detailed report).

... and Chuck Norcutt adds:

>[Tim Hughes] did not mention zinc-air batteries. [...]  While at
>energizer.com I found the following:
>Miniature zinc air batteries stored at room temperature with the tabs
>left in place show 950f initial service after 1 year, 90% after
>2 years, 85% after 4 years.
>The activated air cell batteries have an expected fresh capacity of
>50% after 3-12 weeks. Beyond 20 weeks fresh capacity drops to 0-10%.
>At only $5.69 for a pack of 8 at Radio Shack these batteries are cheap.

A couple of comments to the above:

(a) A zinc-air cell, once activated, takes approx. 20 minutes to reach
    its optimal voltage output -- not a good choice if you need a fresh
    battery in the middle of your once in a lifetime shoot.

(b) The above price refers to "miniature, hearing aids" batteries.  These
    are NOT suitable for the OM-1/1N. The PX625 replacement Wein zinc-air
    cells cost around US$4-6 apiece.

IMHO, if Hg cells are available, there is absolutely no reason to use
inadequate or inferior substitutes.  Consider that an Hg PX625 cell
lasts approx. 2 years in an OM-1/1N, and their shelf life is in excess
of 10 years (sealed Hg cells lose approx. 1-20f their capacity/year).

I just got a new shipment of factory fresh, sealed, Varta (Germany)
made PX625's, which I am happy to sell to members of this list for US$5
apiece, plus shipping at cost.  For the price of a single MR-9 adapter,
each Zuik/Zuikette should be able to purchase half a dozen Hg cells,
and stop worrying about their lovely/beloved OM-1 power needs for the
next 10-12 years.  At the risk of sounding self serving, I can't really
think of a better investment.

Of course, if you'd rather enrich faceless, heartless, scum sucking
corporations than support moi, I'll understand...
[sniff, sniff... tears pouring onto my keyboard...  :-)]

Pls note that all EC-based battery makers must discontinue their Hg cell
manufacturing by the end of 1999, and prices on remaining inventories
will skyrocket.  Local repair places here in LA already charge $10+ for
a single Hg cell, and prices on eB*y reach similar levels.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx