Re: [OM] Aperture Ring - Lens Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Aperture Ring - Lens Question
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 23:34:48 +0200
Kinkead, Frank W wrote:

> On my 100m f2.8, The aperture ring (for setting the f stop) clicks smartly
> when turned to the right (towards larger apertures) but seems a little mushy
> when turned to the left.  I've developed a habit of turning the ring full
> left (highest opening) and then turning back to the f stop I want; I hear
> and feel a clear stop that way.  This is also a well used lens, and
> otherwise, functions great.  Will this lens hit the right f stop going in
> both directions even though it doesn't feel clean ?   Will it worsen over
> time ?  Any sort of cheap & easy adjustment/fix ?
>
> Chip
> St. Louis

Hi Chip,

I had what I think was the same problem once. The aperture ring
would turn fine one way, but had a lot of friction going the other
way.
The lens will work correctly, even if it feels a little odd. I
suspect it will get worse over time.

I fixed my lens by cleaning the bearing for the coupling lever to
the camera. That turned out to be relatively simple: The whole
mount including the couplings for the aperture can be removed
from the lens by removing the three blank screws embedded in
the mount (do not touch the three black ones). At this point
you can determine where the problem lies. If it is in the mount,
it is a matter of taking the mechanism apart and cleaning it.
That is where the black screws comes into it.
Anyway, the mechanism is fairly straight forward once open.
According to John Hermanson it is not supposed to be lubricated.

If the problem lies deeper than the mount I will advise against
home-repair unless you have special tools, such as optical
spanners. For the mount you just need one or two small philips
screw drivers.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"