RE: [OM] Minimum Studio set up

Subject: RE: [OM] Minimum Studio set up
From: KenK1ZYW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:18:35 EST
I just took a short course on studio photography- and one of the major tenants
was not to use a wide angle lense - unless you are trying for a spacific
distorted effect.

Probably an 85 to 135mm (in 35mm format) lens would be better - the instructor
suggested to use about 100mm.  (The 135mm may be too far accross the room to
fit into your 'studio'.)

These longer focal lengths tend to flatten the face and make noses and jaws
more graceful. (Do you need a 'glamor filtor')

We were doing black and white in medium format (and 35 w/ my om4t).  First we
would move the flood lights around until we got the highlight and shadow
areas.  Then we took a poloroid back and took a picture - evaluated the
rusults - changed the lights and subject position and tried again.

The floods are regular $2.00 floods from any hardware store - since we were
using black and white film and so didn't need to filter the film to balance
daylight with incandescent lights. With color film you will need to think
about light 'temperature'.

The nice thing about floods is that you can see exactly where the light falls
and not guess what the effects of a flash strobe will be like.

The next week we did proof sheets.

Cheers
Ken M