[OM] OMinimalism

Subject: [OM] OMinimalism
From: Will von Dauster <vondauster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 11:09:16 -0700
Hi Again,

Alex wrote:

> I have to confess that for me, it is frequently inverse--the more "stuff" I
> have the less memorable the shots sometimes. How do others feel about this?

An excellent point, Alex. Some of my best photographs were taken on a
trip to San Francisco in July 1996, where I took one Leica M6 and a 50mm
lens, plus one Vivitar 2000 flash. If I were to do the same today, I
might take my OM-3 and 50mm f1.2 for its more versatile metering system.
As with most people my age (45), I grew up shooting a 50mm lens, and
know instinctively its limitations and coverage, this allowed me to
concentrate on compositions that worked well within those limitations.
The 50 is also a good compromise length between a wide and long lens,
with that resulting angle of view that seems to mimic human perception.

While I would never show up for a photo assignment with the above outfit
- there are too many variables beyond the control of the photographer -
I look forward to doing just that agian on one of my next vacations. I
might add a small tripod next time.

Will von Dauster

http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/~vondaust/

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde