R: [OM] Cleaning an OM300/4.5 lens

Subject: R: [OM] Cleaning an OM300/4.5 lens
From: "Marco Tomat" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:51:44 +0200
Of course the last word is of John's.

----------
>>Remove the hood, unscrew the three or four screws you'll see and extract
> all
>>the frontal part. You'll find the dirty on the surfaces.
>
> O.k., so how do I go about removing the sun shade hood? I can't seem to find
> any way to do that.

grasp with the left hand the ring at the base of the hood, and with the
right the hood itself. Then rotate the hands as if you were unscrewing
something (that's really happening).

Also, the "ring" which holds the first element in place
> (i.e. the "inside" of the filter ring, where it mentions stuff like: "MC
> 300mm Olympus" etc.) probably also has to be dismounted, how can I do that?
> You wrote that a small screwdriver should suffice and that no spanners are
> needed, from the looks, the fungus is only present on the top of the 2nd
> element. Fortunately the bottom of the lens doesn't seem to have any fungus.
> Are you sure that a small screwdriver is all that is needed to reach that
> part?

generally the most exposed part is that is removable as described. If the
second element and not *group* is really in question, you are right you need
a wrench.

>>Clean with ethanol or if it is not enough, with ammonia.
>
> Interesting. The others seem to recommend Ponds cold cream (whatever that
> exactly may be), do you know anything about which substance is best to use?

Here John Hermanson only can give the best advice. Generally speaking, i
clean lenses this way: I alitate on the lens and dry with a clean cotton
wrap. If this is not enough, I wet the cotton towel with alcohol. If this is
not enough again, I use propylic alcohol (isopropanol) that is used also for
circuits. If the lens is "dirty dirty", I use a bit of ammonia (most glass
cleaners are ammonia. Mirrors-makers clean the glass with ammonia, too). I
am speaking of the exterior of lenses, of course. For the interior, a
dust-free room is advised.

> Cheers, and let's see if can get this thing cleaned. :)
> Olaf

Yes, it deserves it.

marco