[OM] Black to white graduated background

Subject: [OM] Black to white graduated background
From: sebastien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastien Roy)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:03:10 -0500 (EST)
Hi!

Does anyone know how to create the "white smoothly becoming black"
background used in photography of ceramic art pieces?

A typical example of this is at
   http://www.ceramicsmonthly.org/images/months/apr99/Pascoe.jpg

Is it a lighting effect? Or a graduated background carboard?
If it is a cardboard... Any ideas where one can get such a thing?

[OM content:]

I am celebrating one year of becoming an olympus/zuiko user.
With my OM2000, 50f1.8, 24f2.8, and 65-200f4, I took the best
pictures I ever took. I'm quite happy.

Sincerely,

Sebastien

--
-- Sebastien Roy
-- NEC Research Institute, Vision Stereo