Re: [OM] Lens Test: 100mm f/2 Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Test: 100mm f/2 Zuiko
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:27:41 -0600 (CST)
> f/16      A+        A
> f/22      A-        A-
> Note: Exceptional low contrast image detail stopped down; remarkable lack of
> vignetting wide open. One of the best Zuiko lenses.
>
> I found it remarkable that performance would peak out of f/16, since once
> would expect diffraction limited performance at that aperture.
>
> Gary Reese
> Las Vegas, NV

Diffraction is determined by the ratio of (light wavelength)/(size of opening).
A 100mm at f/16 has the same opening as a 50mm at f/8. The f64 School used
large format cameras, for which the typical lenses might be 300mm.

The 100mm/2 is a double Gauss design (originally 1896, I think), essentially
a scaled up 50mm. Among other things, that accounts for its somewhat startling
weight: it's got an awful lot of glass stuffed inside.

Paul Farrar