Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's w

Subject: Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's why I ...
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:35:49 EST
Charles & Dave write:

> > Do you remember how much you paid for your OM1?
>  > I keep thinking $175.  But I am guessing.
>
>  I couldn't even guess. I recall the MSRP at around $250 or so, but even
>  that's kind of fuzzy.

To help in this walk on nostalgia lane:
Back in 1978 (the earliest data I have), an OM-1 Chrome Body (officially
imported into the US) was $166.14 at dealer 3 up price.  Suggested List Price
was $280.00  Add a 50mm f/1.8 at $55.25 (dealer) and $85.00 (SLP).  Grey
Market prices in NYC were often close to dealer cost.

What is "3 up" someone asks?  Those were/are lower prices on selected system
components, granted to a dealer when they bought three or more camera bodies
at on time.  An incentive to get more equipment than a shop might otherwise
buy when doing a special order for a customer.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV