[OM] pocketability

Subject: [OM] pocketability
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 06:06:55 -0800
"I don't think it's possible to design a truly pocketable camera utilizing a
standard 135 film cassette."

This is getting off-topic, but what do you consider "truly pocketable"? The
original SX-70 was rear-pants- or coat-jacket-pocketable, while the pocket
instamatics were bulky, especially considering the small format. Most of the
Styli fit nicely into a shirt pocket -- assuming you've left your pocket
protector at home. A Minox will fit almost anywhere, but it's surprisingly bulky
for its film size. (35mm has 9 times the film area of Minox, but even the
largest Stylus isn't 9 times the volume of a Minox.)

I tried shoving my Olympus Infinity Stylus Zoom 80 Wide DLX (the thickest of the
Styli) into a standard men's dress-shirt pocket. It fits fine, but the "drag" on
the pocket is rather noticeable. It fits my jeans pocket, too.