Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's w

Subject: Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for something on eBay? Here's why I ...
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 13:19:06 EST
Dan writes:

> What I don't understand is given that eBay list all their "offerings"
>  all at once, why do the same items go for vastly different prices?

Condition, condition, condition, especially for premium priced Like New In Box
items.  Followed by presentation of facts; feedback rating of seller; timing
of auction close - including concurrent competition from like items, time of
day, closing day, concurrance with holidays; 21 day price history; pent up
demand; guarantee; coattails effect; includion of extras (case, caps, hood);
interest from a newbie not familiar with going prices; bidding wars (esp.
between two newbies), etc.

>  What would cause someone to bid a high price for one specific item
>  while another of the exact same item gets very few bids and gets sold
>  at a very low price.

See above.  Once a person willing to pay above going market value buys the
item, the loosing bidder often cools off and things settle down again.  That
loosing bidder sometimes even gets someone selling direct to them at their
loosing bid price.

>  I missed out on a Zuiko 35/2.8 earlier this week
>  that went for around $35 (because I don't have time to baby sit the
>  bidding around closing time), but other 35/2.8's are bid to around $120,
>  and these are all listed as available at the same time (sometimes just
>  a few items away from each other).

You might want to recheck that $35 you are quoting.  That was a non Zuiko and
it was priced too high to even get a bid. That said, you aren't too far off in
what can be considered low market: $33 on a 9 condition single coated.  It is
not unrealistic to wait for a single coated one at $50 or less.  I believe
I've sold two to OM List members at or below that price.

I'm not familiar with any $120 (or thereabouts) 35mm f/2.8 Zuikos sold via the
Internet.  $91 for a 9+ MC is top dollar in my sales records.  If anyone did a
sale higher, I've love to know about it.  (Thanks to everyone who has supplied
this data in the past).

I have a lead on a 9+ condition 35mm f/2.8 MC Zuiko for $99 from a dealer.
But I wouldn't recommend it.  It is priced above Internet venue market value.
On the other hand, if someone doesn't wait to wait and be patient, it's a good
buy.

>  Currently there is a glut of OM-10's listed, but some are going for
>  as low as $70 while others are getting bidded up to $150; for almost
>  exactly the same thing.  So what caused people to overlook one item
>  and compete for another of the same thing?

This seems to be the same thing you were asking on the 35mm f/2.8  In this
case, also look for type of lens included, presence of a Manual Adapter (an
OM-10 FC), presence of a Databack (an OM-10 Quartz).  You are right about the
glut.  There is a glut everywhere.  I cringed two weeks ago when I had to buy
a 24mm f/2.8 Zuiko on a OM-10 because the OM-10 is harder than heck to sell.
But I found a Manual Adapter a week later than will greatly increase its
desirability.  I might even put an old 50mm f/1.4 Zuiko on it to really make
it desirable.

>  I am totally confused by this whole eBay process.

This is the place to get assistance in figuring out how to buy knowledgeably,
although many List members don't want to hear about things ebay related.  But
some of the above comments apply also to buying from more traditional venues:
camera stores, camera shops, magazine advertisers.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV