[OM] Happy Lens Mounts

Subject: [OM] Happy Lens Mounts
From: kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 99 09:25:48 -0800
I've been pondering the lens mounts on my OMs and Zuikos recently. I've
noticed that a glance at the lens mount surface can quickly tell you the
amount of use a camera or lens may have seen. Is there such a thing as
lens mount maintenance? Is there a way to best mount lenses? Is it
helpful to twist on the lenses slowly or possibly use some kind of light
lubricant on the lens mount surface? I'm guessing 'no', but my
auto-mechanics background keeps telling me that you don't rub steel
against steel without a lubricant. Finally, on this subject, what's the
longest lens you'd want to mount on an OM body which is attached to a
tripod? I'm guessing that the tripod mount on the bottom of the 300mm is
Olympus' way of telling us not to mount a Zuiko longer than a 200mm lens,
if the body itself is screwed to the tripod (of course, I realize this
all depends on the amount of glass in the lens; I can imagine a 100mm f/1
lens requiring a tripod mount on the lens!). But my guess is that it's
easy to damage the lensmount by hanging an overly-large lens on a
tripod-mounted body, creating in effect a permanent "shift body" with the
mount angled forever downward (a boon for you macro buffs). What wisdom
do you have to share on the topic of lens mount hygiene?