[OM] Super FP confusion; zoom confusion; IS-10 lens; local stores

Subject: [OM] Super FP confusion; zoom confusion; IS-10 lens; local stores
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:13:28 -0800
"The OM-4Ti is probably better capable of Super FP flash because it can measure
the influence of both the flash and available light during exposure."

This is not correct. It is a major point of confusion. It's been discussed
before, but maybe it needs to be rehashed.

Super FP is a _manual_ mode of flash operation. Instead of firing one big burst
of light, the flash puts out several hundred smaller bursts over a period
slightly longer than 1/60 of a second. Other than changing your distance from
the subject or sticking a handkerchief over the flash tube, neither you nor the
camera have any control over the flash's output.

Super FP is strictly for fill-in. The camera's normal controls (aperture and
shutter) set the base exposure, with the flash providing fill-in at "reasonable"
subject distances.

In order for Super FP to be fully automatic, it would have to know the distance
to the subject, the f/stop selected and the scene brightness, _before_ the
exposure. The OM cameras do not supply the first two pieces of information, so
Super FP cannot provide _automatic_ fill-in flash.

"Keep in mind that zooms only hold focus when zooming from the telephoto
position to the wide position, not vice versa."

This is not, strictly speaking, correct. A true zoom holds focus regardless of
which way you zoom. But in practice it is easier to achieve critical focus at
long focal lengths when you have a bigger image and less depth of field.
Therefore, if focus is critical, you should focus at the longest focal length,
then zoom back.

"Do you know if the 28-110 4x zoom lens of the IS-10/20 was tested in Pop
Photo?"

It has not yet been tested. My opinion is that it is a very good lens, but not
quite as good as the best separate zooms. (By the way, it's a varifocal lens,
not a zoom.) One of these days I'll find the time to sit down and do a proper
real-world test. It's on my "to do" list, but that doesn't mean it will ever get
done.

"I'm not at all surprised to see the local camera store as a dying breed. I wish
it were otherwise, but I don't see how."

The problem is that, once you become knowledgeable about your hobby, you have
less need of personal attention. I buy most of my stuff from B&H, and they're
getting positively mellow -- they'll actually schmooze with you even if you
aren't buying.