Re: [OM] San Francisco/OM-3ti/35-70/3.5-4.5/Focussing screens

Subject: Re: [OM] San Francisco/OM-3ti/35-70/3.5-4.5/Focussing screens
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:48:32 -0600
At 09:11 PM 3/14/99 +0100, Erwin you wrote in part:

>A week ago the 35-70/3.5-4.5 was discussed here.
>I once compared this lens with the 35/2 by inspecting
>some Kodachrome 25 slides projected with a Leica
>Colorplan 90/2.5 (subject: contrasty bookshelfs at a
>distance of 1.5 m). Both lenses have to be stopped down
>to 5.6 before the corners reach the resolution of the
>film. The zoom at 35/3.5 performs visually simular to
>the 35/2 stopped down to 2.8-4 (yep, in between).
>So, the zoom seems to have a quality comparable to the
>35/2. The only noticable diverence is that the 35/2
>is more 'wide angle' than the zoom (I remember reading
>somewhere that the zoom is actually a 36-69 mm zoom).

Interesting "bakeoff."  For a while the 35-70/f3.5-4.5 was my only Zuiko;
it is still the only one I ever bought new.  It has always made me feel
like I'm a lucky guy.

> I was wondering if the same holds for the
>2-13 screen: can you use a simple correction for the
>exposure? (I suppose the answer is yes)

We had quite a bit of discussion on this topic about a year ago (maybe a
little less than a year). Quick and dirty, you can just figure out some
sort of simple correction, but there was some suggestion that the
correction is not precisely linear.  I think John Hermanson was testing
this, but I don't recall if he made a definitive report.

Anyway, Welcome back!

Joel