Re: [OM] Tamron SP 5.6/350 mirror

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 5.6/350 mirror
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:32:37 -0800
>Gary Schloss wrote:
>
>> (b) if compact size and light weight are crucial, it's worthwhile to
>>     consider the Tamron SP 350/f5.6 mirror lens.  In my recent encounter
>>     with this lens, it acquitted itself admirably well.

Giles Stewart inquires:

>Do you really mean the 350mm Tamron or were you referring to the 500mm?

Yes, I definitely meant 350mm.  This mirror lens was offered for a
relatively short time (as was, btw, a regular Tamron 300/f5.6 lens).

The 350mm and 500mm mirror Tamrons (both SP), share many parts and
features: both have 7 elements in 4 groups, are almost identical in
size and weight (the 500mm is half an inch longer), both focus very
close (350mm is a bit closer -- 1.1m), etc.

Given their similarity, it is safe to assume that the manufacturing
costs of both lenses were identical.  Yet, the market conditions were
such that Tamron could sell the 500mm lens for more $$$'s, and so the
350mm lens was discontinued.  Based on my admittedly limited testing,
this lens' premature demise is lamentable, even if economically
Tamron's decision was justified.  Who knows, maybe one day this lens
will become a classic...

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA