Re: [OM] Smoke & Mirrors

Subject: Re: [OM] Smoke & Mirrors
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:51:07 -0800
Warren Kato wrote:

><< 2) Mirrors: Have we discussed the Zuiko 500 mm f/8 recently? >>
>
>See OM FAQ.  Tops are the Zuiko 500/8 and Questar 700.  Mr. .... the
>guy wearing tutu on his head ... likes the Tamron 350/5.6.

Hey, don't forget that I also recommend the justly famous Vivitar
Series 1 600/8 "Solid CAT".  In fact, Denton Taylor's web site may
still have comparative shots, done by Denton and yours truly, which
clearly demonstrated that with careful selection of objects one can
achieve respectable results with this lens, inspite of the inability
to control its aperture (and hence -- the pict's DOF).  Drawback:
the Solid CAT is a chunky monkey. :-)

I would also consider the Tamron SP 500/8.  I think by now it's the
longest continuously produced mirror lens in the world (almost 20
years?), and virtually without any changes!  That's by any standard
a _very_ respectable achievement.

><< 3) VF: 35-85mm f2.8 lens.  Do any of you own and love this lens? >>
>
>Yes and Yes.

I concur with Warren's answer.

Wayne Harridge wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>> I also have a Makinon 500mm f8; fairly generic mirror lens
>
>Me too.  Does anyone know what company actually made these ?

My wild guess would be: Makina Optical.  They were very active
in the aftermarket lens business until the late 80's.  Then, like
many other independent lens makers, they abandoned manufacturing,
and went into the real estate business in Tokyo :-O  (Humor Alert!!!
The last sentence is a joke!!!)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA