[OM] mirror lenses, no smoke

Subject: [OM] mirror lenses, no smoke
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 07:42:26 -0800
>Do any of  you own mirror lenses for your OMs? Are ya happy?

I have 500mm F8 Brand X, vy light weight great results in certain
situations.  I even got some useable shots with a X2 T/C .  I'm usually
pretty happy, oh, you mean with the lense... It doesn't weight much so I
can lug it around a lot without using it and not feel too stupid.  When the
occasion to use it arrises AND I HAVE IT then I feel GOOD and it makes me
happy.
        Right now on my office wall I'm looking at a 5X7 color enlargement
of a flamingo taken with this lense that when examined up close with a
loupe you can see that the pupil of the birds eye is in tack sharp focus.
Some foreground blades of grass partially veiling the birds body are
pleasingly softened but not blurred into green blobs or grotesquely
distorted.  My wife's office displays a14 inch copy of this shot and at
that enlargement it still shows no faults.  I have other pictures with this
lense of varying quality, some truly mediocre (or worse).  You have to
learn where these lenses work well and were they don't.  There is no
substitute for trial and error if you keep to the basic tennets of the
scientific method in your experiments.
        Get one but don't pay a bundle, experiment with it and if you like
what it does for you but feel limited by the quality, sell it and buy a
high quality one (read very expensive).  Mine was dirt cheap (used) and I
am NOT limited by any lack of quality.

Best of luck, happy mirroring,    Patrick