[OM] Help with lenses for capturing the US Grand Prix in 2000. (origina

Subject: [OM] Help with lenses for capturing the US Grand Prix in 2000. (originally the Starblitz 500-800mm Zoom mirror post)
From: "Peter S. Halpern" <phalpern@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 08:36:24 -0500
Dear John;
Thank you for the reply.  So, my best bet would be to get a top notch
300/2.8 or so?

My equipment right now is:
OM-1n MD
Olympus Macro Zoom 80-200mm f/4.5 1:4
Vivitar Macro Zoom 75-205mm 1:3.5-4.5
Zuiko Auto-Zoom    35-70mm  1:4
Promaster Flash FM600

Here is what I want to capture at the US Grand Prix in 2000:

1. The starting grid leaders as they zoom off with their tires smoking and
also a timed exposure around the first corner with all that traffic.
2. Some podium shots, some with timed exposure for some interesting
champagne effects.
3. Cars going past at speed or some interesting passing of backmarkers
shots.  Some of these will be times exposures as well.
4. If I can get away with it, facial shots of some of the drivers.  Every
once in a while you see on the TV some strong facial expressions when the
camera angle is just right.  I'd like to capture some of that.

For shot #1 I need an 'all encompassing' lens.  Soemthing that can get REAL
close up and someting that can get a good field wide.  So, something on the
range of 500-800mm seemed reasonable, but maybe 200-500mm would be better?

For shot #2 and #4 I need to get in REAL close, so about 500mm sound about
right?

For shot #3, I figure the Vivitar would be acceptable.  Those shots will be
easy to get though, there should be a lot of them.

My concern is obvious shots #1 and #2.  I only have one chance to get real
good shots.  Afterward, that's that.

Shots #3 and #4 I can keep plugging away at for the whole race, so I am not
as concerned.

Best regards,
Peter