Re: [OM] Vivitar wide-angle zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar wide-angle zoom
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 08:27:04 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 22:06:34 -0500 (EST), *- DORIS FANG -* wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Abbinga wrote:
>
>> Has anybody any experience with the Vivitar :
>>
>> 17-28mm (4.0-4.5)
>
>  I had one of these and found it unacceptably unsharp, it vignetted
>a lot, had lots of distortion...

Assuming this is the same lens as the Phoenix/Samyang, I've shot a
few rolls with mine, and the quality is acceptable for up to 8X10,
with some edge distortion at the wide end. In my particular case, a
little distortion at 18mm is entirely acceptable, even desireable. At
28mm, the lens has been reasonably sharp with no noticeable
distortion. I haven't seen any vignetting.

For $139, I think its a fine addition to my bag. If I found myself
needing an ultra-wide angle on a regular professional basis I'd
probably spring for a couple of Zuiko primes, but for occasional use,
its entirely acceptable.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel