Re: [OM] digital potential

Subject: Re: [OM] digital potential
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:30:56 -0800
Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx> Rocked on to the jamming, and as night fell
was heard to reply:

>On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:12:19 -0800, "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>jammed all night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

JP>> I routinely scan full-frame 35mm film at 2267 x 3400 pixles (2400 dpi)
and
JP>> print 8 x 10's. I need an 8x loupe to tell which is the silver-based
image,

DH>I take it these are both printed the same way?

Yes Dave, in fact I have a couple of hand-made enlargements made in the
chemical darkroom and digital prints cropped the same way from the same
film.  The image quality of both is quite fine, to my surprise actually.  I
had not expected the digital print to be so comparable.

JP>> Digital imaging devices might not follow Moore's Law, but it will be
close -
JP>> maybe 24-30 months instead of 18.
>
DH>It's way ahead of schedule right now, at least on the consumer end of
DH>things. ....
>
DH>Moore's law would suggest that I get about 1800 pp$ by November of 1999.
DH>Observation would say it's more likely to be at least 4000. That means
DH>you get 1600x1200 CCD resolutions in P&S format cameras  for under $500,
DH>1980x1600 for under $800, and that as the rule, not the exception.

Interesting.  I had no real figures as you provide and I stand (well, sit
<g>) corrected.

I still prefer using film, maybe because I know it better and have a lot
more experience with it.  Scanning is a good way for me to either get an
enlargement quickly - it takes me about 10 minutes start to finish - or to
do serious manipulation such as multi-layer registration.  My Oly DL-300 is
an antique by current standards.  The OM's, on the other hand, are classics
that will endure.  I like and use them both, each for their own purpose.
Scanning is my way of bridging the two, just because I like to tinker.

John P