Re: [OM] OT: Visual riddle

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Visual riddle
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:42:37 -0800
At 11:40 PM 02/21/1999 -0800, I wrote:

/\:     ________     __     =========     ,  ,  ,  ,   ,  ,  |'  ,      ,
 / b   |  |  |  |   |  |   |  |   |  |   |  |  |  |   |  |   |  |  ~|' |
/ b b ,| ,| ,| ,|  ,| ,|  '  ,|   | ,|   |__|__|__|   |__|   |  |   |  |
                                ~'                            =========

Well Zuiks, nobody completely figured out my little version of "Name That
Tune."  Now to reveal the mystery, if anybody really cares.  :-) The
signature is indeed a musical quotation--the main theme from Mozart's
Overture to "The Magic Flute"  (Die Zauberflote).

Simon correctly guessed that it was Mozart, and that the piece is in
E-flat. A couple of other people saw the bass clef and decided I must play
trombone or tuba.

That's on the right track, but not quite correct.  The trick is that while
the key signature is for the key of E-flat, the passage is in B-flat.  The
first time the piece modulates to that key, the only instrument playing
with the strings is another bass-clef instrument:  the bassoon.  That is
the instrument I play.  Playing a bassoon, with its largely 18th-century
acoustic design, is kind of like using a manual OM-1 in this automated,
digitized world (OM content).

I didn't really expect anyone to get the instrument, but given the number
of highly cultured people on this list, I thought someone might recognize
the piece.  It's tough, but the commas and apostrophes that I use for note
heads do outline the melody correctly.  I had to use a tilde for a natural
sign as the closest ASCII equivalent.

I use a musical signature to identify myself as a person who loves
classical music.  My old signature, at the end of this message, is the
rhythm underlying Ravel's "Bolero."  Several people have recognized it over
the years--it's easier to recognize a rhythm without pitches.  However,
"Bolero" is not my favorite piece of music.  It also has a connotation that
a happily married man such as myself should avoid.  If you've seen the
movie "10," you know what I mean.

Thanks to all who participated.  I only own one Zuiko 50/1.8, and I'm
keeping it, so there are no prizes.  :-)  Simon gets the Honorable Mention.
----