[OM] OT--Nikon 2000 slide scanner vs Minolta Multi?

Subject: [OM] OT--Nikon 2000 slide scanner vs Minolta Multi?
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:12:54 EST
Has anyone personally conducted a shoot out between the Nikon 2000 slide
scanner and the Minolta Multiscan scanner. I know of the Pop Photo review a
few months back. But my question can be phrased thus--is the Nikon 2000 so
much better than the Minolta on 35mm, that one should forego medium format
scanning (which the Minolta can do) for the time being? Some quick points:

        1) The Nikon 2000 can scan a slide 16 times and compile a 50 meg image
with
            a D of greater than 3.6.

       2) The Minolta reads a slide only once--generating a file size of 25
meg or so. D
            is about 3.5.

      3) While the Minolta can do medium format, it does so at less than half
the
          resolution of 35mm. Hence it's a kind of 1 step forward and 2 steps
backward!
          To equal 35mm a scanner would have to generate file sizes of some
250 megs
          or more from medium format.

Objective--generate 11 by 14 prints on the Epson EX printer, with Photoshop.

Alex