Re: [OM] The 35mm vs. MF myth - was: resolution vs format size-35 vs 67

Subject: Re: [OM] The 35mm vs. MF myth - was: resolution vs format size-35 vs 67
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 23:26:12 -0800
I have read many views on this subject.  Everything I've read indicates
smaller formats have higher resolution optics - minatures resolve more line
pairs per millimeter than 35mm, 35mm more than 120, 120 more than 4x5.....
In my own experience, everything else held equal, nothing beats a 4x5
original; they look like you can just reach right into them.  120 chromes
project (and print) superior images than 35mm.  Yet 35mm lenses generally
have far better resolution numbers.  Hmmmmm

I have always explained this away as the reduced magnification required by
larger formats to acheive the same finished size.  Are there other factors
involved in larger format lenses - optical properties, mechanical
considerations?  I don't know; I defer to those with more technological
know-how than I.  What I do know is with good technique, OM's and Zuikos,
one can produce very fine 35mm images that are better than mediocre
technique with any larger format.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> discussed the virtues
of format size
<...big ol' snip...>