Re: [OM] Famous Street Photographers--question?

Subject: Re: [OM] Famous Street Photographers--question?
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:39:31 EST
In a message dated 2/10/99 11:17:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< People forget that the legendary street photographers (Winogrand,
 Meyerowitz, Friendlander, Papageorge, etc.) were shooting at 1/1000th
 of a second handheld (and at small apertures, pushing their Tri-X to
 1200-1600 EI) with their 28-35-50mm lenses.

                                    *= Doris Fang =*

Hi Doris,

     That was an excellent observation about "Legendary Street photographers".
I have yet to review the work of the photographers you mention--and will do so
thoroughly. But did any of them articulate why they shot that way?  Was it an
"all I can see"/documentary approach, or were they avoiding the use of wide
apertures of early lenses, or was that the esthetic of the times?

    Much of the street shooting I have seen published, concentrates on
"plucking" some activity out of a mass swarm--hence the modern emphasis on
"bokeh", fast lenses and so on. This is my own personal approach also.

Thanks

Alex