Re: [OM] T45 and OM-3Ti??

Subject: Re: [OM] T45 and OM-3Ti??
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 21:04:35 -0500 (EST)
> The current project involves an ancient T45 flash and a fairly new
> OM-3Ti (the commemorative edition).  Can someone who really knows tell
> me the various ways that these two can be mated?
>
> I purchased the T45 many, many years ago from a mailorder outfit
> reknowned for stripping extras from the factory pack - so the T45 I have
> has ONLY the PC cord; it's even missing the hand strap (any clues on
> where I can find one of those?)  So, it may be that I need a cord, or an
> adaptor, to get the most flexibility out of this combo.  Of course,
> everything works just fine when I use the most vanilla setup (letting
> the T45 figure the exposure).  I'm looking for advice on how to do it
> "right".

I regularly use a T45 with a 3Ti and they work flawlessly together.  You
will however need an additional cable if you want to use the TTL capabilities.
The best cable to use is the TTL Auto Cord T2 0.15m which is specially
designed for use with an OM-4/4Ti/3Ti.  A picture of it can be found at
http://www.mcs.net/~smp/photo/flash_t45.htm (it's the cable on the right).
I'm not sure if this cable is still available, I got mine with my T45 when
I bought it.  As an alternative, any of the other TTL cables can be used in
place of the T45 specific one, it just won't look as tidy.

BTW, forget about trying to use the setup in the above picture.  The T45
combined with the MD2 & Ni-Cad pack weigh so much that it takes two hands
to hold it for any length of time.  This makes it very difficult to use.

> (oh yeah...a second question: what's the best battery maintenance
> schedule for the T45 battery.  Left to my own devices, I am likely to
> leave the battery in the charger most of the time, pulling it out only
> when the need arises to take some shots.  Will this damage the battery?
> the alternative seems to be to leave it OUT of the charger, only to find
> it discharged when I need it - requiring actual advance planning to
> recharge it in advance.  My usage would be relatively infrequent.

I personally would not leave the battery pack in the charger longer than
necessary since the charger does not cut out when the battery is at full
charge.  This tends to kill the cells in the pack, especially if left in
the charger for an extended period of time.  If you want to leave it in the
charger so that it's constantly topped up, put a timer on the AC plug so
that it's on only a few minutes per day.  That should avoid damage the
pack while keeping the cells topped up.  If the battery pack loses its
charge quickly (ie. within 2-3 weeks), then it's probably an indication
that it's time to replace the cells.  A fresh cell should lose no more
than 10f it's capacity per day when not in use.
                                -mark