Re: [OM] Flash Exposure Compensation?

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash Exposure Compensation?
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 12:14:24 -0600
Cam Bevis wrote:
>       My niece is getting married this weekend, and they don't have money to
> hire
>a photographer, so everybody's just bringing their P&Ss.  I would like to
>bring my camera as well, but I'm afraid of the same effect. So, the
>environments I will be shooting in are restaurants where the rehearsal
>dinner and reception are held.
>
>If you all are understandably bored with this topic, please feel free to
>reply off-list.

No, not bored, just trying to survive this little treat ourselves.  As I
mentioned in a previous post, you will want to shoot with 400 speed
wedding/portrait film (either Kodak or Fuji) and keep the lens opening
rather wide.  Figure on a lens opening no smaller than 5.6 or 6.7 and watch
the scale.  Use Auto mode, not Program mode.  Adjust the lens opening so
the indicated shutter speed is anywhere from 1/8 to 1/60.  This will keep
the flash/ambient ratio under control and will prevent washed out faces.

If you must shoot faster film than 400, I'd recommend Fuji's 800
professional (HG-800?) as it is decently fine grained and has good skin
colors (ever so slightly pinkish though).  Keep a couple rolls of this film
in your bag just in case you need it.

The professional films have a slightly more usable exposure latitude than
consumer film when it comes to this type of photography.

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx