Re: [OM] OM-30/OM-F

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-30/OM-F
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 12:41:25 EST
In a message dated 2/1/99 12:34:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< But i do not have any autofocus lenses for the OM-30/OM-F

 The OM-30 doesn't work with autofocus lenses; >>

There is a special purpose 35-70/4 autofocus lens that couples with the OM-77.
It allows for autofocusing by a simple touch of the shutter release. This lens
will autofocus with any OM, but on all but the OM-F/30 you need to press a
button on the lens to focus. Thsi is different from the later line of AF
lenses produced for the OM-77/707. I think the 35-70 made for the OM-77 was a
3.5-4.5. The AF lens for the OM-F seems to be fairly rare and unreliable. They
also look pretty clunky (I think they took 4 AAA batteries).

<<SNIP>>

 <<The one thing that always confused me are the "PowerFocus" lenses.
 Apparently made for the OM-88/101, these work with the manual power
 focus system, but not, for whatever reason, with the OM-77's autofocus
 system (or at least that's what I hear tell on the net). Does anyone
 know the technical oddities behind this? It seems to me the AF vs. PF
 capabilities reside in the lens's abilities to focus in response to the
 camera's control signals, and the camera's ability to let you send focus
 commands (via that rocker switch) or send them itself (via its AF sensor
 and computer). Neither lens has manual focus ability, which is
 understandable if a bit stupid (Nikon managed to add AF capabilities
 without breaking backward compatibility). But splitting the line between
 incompatible AF and PF lenses, even if they didn't last that long on the
 market, sounds absurdly stupid. >>

I always thought that the power focus thing was the downfall of the
OM-77/OM-88 line

 > Is the 35-70/4 AF the correct lens for OM-30/OM-F?

Yes, this is the right lens, if you can find one.

 > Does OM-30/OM-F focuses ok with this lens?

Yes, if you have working examples of each!

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI