[OM] OM Obsolescence

Subject: [OM] OM Obsolescence
From: "james olson" <james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 09:18:36 PST
it seems a little goofy that people always wonder why the OM system
isn't being further developed.  i can liken the situation to my 1956
Volkswagon Beetle.  How many people would buy a brand new 1956 beetle
today?  I'd say 1 in 1000 (or 10,000?) new car buyers.  So should VW
spend $millions$ to $billions$ to improve the 1956 car, to improve their
relations with .010f the new car buyers market?

Can you buy (almost) any piece of new Minolta MD equipment you want?

Can you buy any new  Canon FD accessory you want?

Can you buy any New Pentax K-mound accessory?

How about Nikon?

You can with Olympus.  What's the gripe? (I think SUPPORT is coming to
mind.)

Let's sue Olympus, because you can still buy all their equipment, and
they really are not supporting photographers with the OM system.

So if new camera buyers buy about 95 % Point  & Shoot cameras, and 5 %
buy new SLR's, and of the 5%  SLR market, maybe 3  0s Manual Focus,
Olympus would be quite silly to revamp everything in their line.

Blah, blah.  I've got what i need.  If you want it, buy it new or used.
Then use it.  Then when it breaks, fix it.  And if you can't fix it, buy
another new/ used one.  And if you can't find a usable OM-1n, my guess
is it will be the year 2099, or 2184, or 90210, whatever.