Re: [OM] Spot meters

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot meters
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:03:14 -0800
>From memory, I believe your OM-2S with a 200mm lens will provide about a 1
degree spot as viewed through the center circle of the standard screen.
Longer lengths will obviously give smaller spots.

A separate hand-held spot meter will bring you much convienence.  You can
set up your tripod and camera independently of metering the scene.  Is it
that much of a royal pain to swap lenses for metering purposes?  Only you
can decide.  The optical spot meters by Pentax and Minolta are true 1 degree
meters.  That level of specialization renders them useless for anything else
(e.g. incident or flash), but they are definitely the right tool for the
job.  Calumet offers a Zone VI model, a modified Pentax spotmeter that is
calibrated in foot-lamberts if you want to get *real* serious.  I understand
Sekonic offers a model called the Zoom-master that combines spot with
incident and flash, see http://www.sekonic.com/Products/L-508.html for more
details.  They are all, as I'm sure you've found, quite expensive.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"