[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #755

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #755
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:41:26 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 01:02:37 PST you write:
>Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [OM] Proposal: Monthly information message
>
>All,
>
>I have a bit of a concern here.  While I'm in complete agreement that the
>same topics get old after a while and that newbies should have FAQs, etc.
>to answer the common questions, I'd suggest that you don't expect the
>newbie questions to stop.  Slow down somewhat, but not stop.  The concern I
>have is that we'll turn into OM Nazis, flaming anyone daring to ask a
>question that might be found on a FAQ we've already pointed him/her to.

That is exactly what I don't want to happen!  I'm not suggesting we
become rude or overbearing when someone new asks a question.  In the
battery example, we could say "It is generally agreed the 357 is the
best battery, for more information, please look at the FAQ" and give a
reference to the FAQ.  I would soon leave the list if we started flaming
people for asking honest questions.  However, once someone asked a FAQ,
and was politely pointed to it, it is likely they would read it
completely and thus wouldn't have to ask other common questions.  And if
they were pointed to the FAQ's when they subscribed (again, politely),
then we might just see an overall drop in repetitive topics :)

>obsessions.  Yes, I have books and other resources, but posting a question
>not only gives me answers from all of you, but I get differing viewpoints
>and opinions as well.

But for some well discussed questions (and many equipment issues), all
the relevant viewpoints have been distilled into the FAQ, so what is the
need to ask them again?  As an example, the Databack 4 keeps dates until
2009.  Period.  This is not a question that should ever be asked on the
list, since it is covered in the FAQ and not subject to interpretations
or opinions (unlike many other topics that are).  On the other hand, I
certainly don't think we should flame someone for asking.  I just think
that they should have been provided with the addy of the FAQ up front.

>My attitude has always been that if I'm tired of a topic or don't wish to
>read a post, I simply hit the delete key.  We're in a society here, and
>whether we like it or not, someone's always gonna pop up with "What's the
>maximum flash sync speed on an OM1n?" or "What's the difference between an
>OM4 and an OM4Ti?".  We can only filter our input and interactions so much

Of course they will.  But don't you agree that they would show up less
often if folks knew to look in the FAQ in the first place?

>without living in a vacuum.  I wholeheartedly agree with a standard
>"package" available to send to newbies containing all of the commonly asked
>questions.  But the newbie questions aren't going to stop, and I don't feel
>that anyone should be discouraged from asking them.

Of course not, but IMHO if someone reads the FAQ and thus answers their
own question, they have not been "discouraged" from asking the question.
Perhaps once they have absorbed the answer in the FAQ they will have a
new insight that goes beyond the answer in the FAQ, and the posting of
*that* will further enrich the list.

>I'm volunteering to keep and maintain the "package", and will send it
>promptly to anyone, newbie or not, asking what we consider rudimentary
>questions.  I'll also answer his question in the same post if I can.  While
>an extremely detailed world map is nice to have, sometimes we just need
>help getting across the street...

This last comment seems to imply that it's not worth someone's time to
read through the FAQ for an answer when they can just ask it here and
get 50 answers.  Is that really the feeling of most here?  If so, then
maintaining a FAQ is just about pointless...

Cheers,
--Lee
(Who knows he has opened a can 'o worms ;)