[OM] Shoe 4 problem

Subject: [OM] Shoe 4 problem
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 22:27:31 -0800
My (new to me) used OM-1n arrived today, acquired from an unnamed online
auction site in better than expected condition, save one small detail.  The
ready light in the viewfinder does not operate.  I tried another, known
good, shoe 4 and it worked correctly.  So now I know it is not the body.  I
tried the questionable shoe on a known good body and, sure enough, no worky.
Odd.  I measured the resistance between the pins that extend into the holes
in the pentaprism to the pads on top of the shoe - zero resistance.  I also
measured the length of the pins compared to the good shoe with a depth
micrometer.  The good shoe's pins were actually a few thousandths of an inch
*shorter*.  A surprise.  Then I found when I place the "bad" shoe on any
body, mount the flash, and press up from the bottom of the flash, the ready
light comes on as it should.  What's the deal?  Any insights are
appreciated.

John P