[OM] Multi-spot & evaluative metering (Was Re: Olympus)

Subject: [OM] Multi-spot & evaluative metering (Was Re: Olympus)
From: Sean Chan <sean@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:22:59 +0800 (WST)
Cc: jdean@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Thanks for your reply, I am still hung between purchasing a OM4Ti or a
> Contax Aria. I have a ElanIIe system I am selling, I also have a OM10,
> with the Zuiko 28 2.8,50 1.4 and the 135 3.5. I don't really care for
> the OM10 body, I am interested in the OM4Ti metering, although I am
> wondering if the multi spot metering would be similar to evalutive
> metering.

Hi Jerry,

I don't think multi-spot metering is similar to evaluative at all. But
that really depends on how you use it. Evaluative is probably closer to
(though better than) center weighted for most average conditions.

Evaluative though segmented still places priority on the segments.
Usually linking the segment that the point of focus happens to fall on
to have the highest priority. Surrounding segments carry less weight of
importance, etc. e.g. in my EOS-3, there are 21 segments. 11 of them
are linked to focusing points within its focusing "sweetspot". When I
shift the focusing point to the left/right/up/down, that particular
segment will have the largest weight in the overall metering exposure,
the surrounding segments will have lesser weight, etc.

With multi-spot though (both EOS-3 and OM-4Ti), each spot carries the
same weight then averaged out.

Depending on *how* you spot, you may end up with the same results as
centerweighted or evaluative. As such I really don't take more than 4
spots. And with each spot I take, I'm learning not to simply spot
anything but just those areas you want correctly exposed.

As far as I know, the above is correct but if anyone has more in-depth
knowledge, please feel free to correct me.

Sean
--
Sean H.Y. Chan (sean@xxxxxxxxxx)
IT Consultant