RE: [OM] OM-40 metering and battey problems

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-40 metering and battey problems
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:05:43 +0100
Hi,

>The PC/40 has a sensor that is very similar to, if not the same as the
>one in a 4T used for center weighted & spot readings.  In ESP, the
>camera compares the spot area to the rest of the field and if there is a
>big difference (like backlighting) automatically compensates.

O.k., this basically comes down to what I tried to say in my original
message, thanks for elaborating it a bit more though, I didn't realise it
used the same sensor as the 4T.

Either way, my point was basically to state that ESP doesn't allow you to
use the above mentioned spot meter "as such", i.e. (unless I'm very
mistaken) you can't use it to simply take a spot measurement and then use
the measured value for the exposure itself, as the ESP uses it for deciding
whether it thinks it's necessary to compensate or not... The end result will
still be a centre-averaged measurement.

In light of your explanation though, it's really a pity that it doesn't
allow full (1) spot measurement capability, as it sounds to me like most of
the equipment for doing that is already there anyway :(. Effectively the
only thing which would have to change then is that the algorithm doesn't
average the readings, but rather simply sticks to the one measured in the
centre, when operating in ESP mode. Gee that's really a pity!

Cheers!
Olaf