Re: [OM] OM4T black - paint coming off?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T black - paint coming off?
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:30:41 EST
In a message dated 1/27/99 10:54:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, mediadyne@xxxxxx
writes:

<< I have lately noticed on the top side of the prism 3 little "dots" were it
seems as If the black finish has gone.
 How do you deal with this? Is their some special method to fix this?

There are those on this list that are far more experienced than I in this, but
in my experience, the Olympus black is a bitch to try and match. (I know what
you are thinking, "black is black, no?") NO it is not! Many times, not all
mind you, the cosmetic "repair" you describe isn't worth it. A lot of people
feel it looks worse after its been "fixed". The shade of paint is generally
off color a bit, it's either shinier or duller than the original paint, not as
thick, too thick,etc. It's difficult to say without seeing the camera, but
there comes a time where we may have to accept little cosmetic imperfections
as "normal" due to use or aging, and accept it as added "character" the piece
attains. (It's a fine line between being meticulous with our equipment, and
being anal retentive.) Many buyers myself included, would rather see the
imperfections, than see a botched repair, and wonder what other botched
repairs were attempted to the camera.
I may be corrected by others, if anyone has a foolproof way to fix this, I'm
all ears!

George S.