Re: [OM] OM 2S

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 2S
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:27:03 EST
In a message dated 1/26/99 11:17:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, rk1@xxxxxxxx
writes:

<<  may be buying a fairly new (read used) OM 2S - any major hiccups I should
look
 out for? I've read some recent threads about the problems associated with
this
 model and why Oly yanked it off their catalogue; do we have any satisfied
users on
 this list? Please contact with your experiences. >>

I think you'll find many satisfied users on this list, including myself. The
OM-2S is a great camera. It is a bit of a battery hog, but there are things
you can do to minimize that problem. First, always use 357 silver oxide
batteries. These are sold as watch or calculator batteries, so you may not
find them in a photo store. I get mine at Wal-Mart. I think I paid $1.97 each
last time.

Next, if you don't plan on using the camera for a long time, take the
batteries out. This is good advice in any event (I do the same with my OM-1
and OM-4). The later OM's (2S, 3(Ti), 4(T(i))) have continuos battery drain,
even when off.

Third, if you have batteries in the camera, store it set to mechanical 1/60 or
B. This will prevent the meter and display from being turned on if something
accidentally depresses the shutter button.

Finally, if you have the green flash ready LED, minimize your use of flash
(don't leave the camera sitting on a table with the flas turned on while
you're eating Christmas dinner, for example). If you expect to use flash alot,
get the red flash LED upgrade, which is powered by the flash batteries and not
the camera batteries. When I send mine in to John H. for a CLA (probably later
this year) I plan on getting that done to mine as well.

I (usually!) try to follow these rules. When I do, the batteries last me
between 6 months and a year, which IMHO, isn't too bad.

I think Oly stopped production of this model because it was too expensive to
produce compared to the OM-4. The OM-2S is a close relative to the OM-4 under
the skin.

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI