Re: [OM] Contrast vs Resolution

Subject: Re: [OM] Contrast vs Resolution
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:52:45 -0800
Contrast control is particularly meaningful in B&W.  For a given scene, you
can adjust the exposure over or under, then under or over develop from
"normal".  Then in the printing process, variable contrast papers or
different fixed contrast grades offer an additional level of control.
Finally, there are a variety of techniques, from simple burning and dodging
to making masks, to further manipulate the final tonal range.

For color work, especially positive to positive (Cibas), contrast masks are
the primary technique.  Dodge and burn help a little, but not as much as
with B&W.

Finally, using digital methods, you can alter the image in ways impossible
in a "wet" darkroom.  Masking, stacking, shifting color balance in
individual layers and so much more.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxx> remarked: