Re: [OM] Lubricating a Zuiko lens: can I do it myself?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lubricating a Zuiko lens: can I do it myself?
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:18:26 +0000
I think it would depend on the lens.  If it's a zoom, macro or lens with close
focus
correction It might be a bit tricky due to added mechanical complexity.

I have successfully managed to lubricate the helicoid on a 50mm f1.2.  Access
is as
you outlined - via removal of the mounting flange.  After removing the flange
there was a circular structure associated with the aperture mechanism.  Three
screws
and a spring have to be removed before the structure can be lifted out.
Underneath
there is a slip ring with some prongs which engage an aperture actuating lever
lower
down in the guts of the lens.  This slip ring can just be lifted out. If memory
serves me the  focusing ring can then just be wound off.

But before you remove anything I would suggest making sketches at each point -
especially before removing the focusing ring.  It contains within it a ring
with two
brass guides.  This ring can be rotated within the focusing ring.  If you
change
it's position after removing the focusing ring it might be tricky to get the
focusing ring back on and operating correctly.  For that matter the focusing
ring
can go back on in a number of positions - guess how many are right?

I believe the correct grease is one called Nye grease.  It is not just slippery
but
is somewhat sticky.  There are various grades available so the focusing
stiffness can be 'tuned'.  However my lens was too stiff also and I used a
small
amount of teflon based grease which did the trick.  You probably don't want a
grease which will be affected by heat and might 'migrate' under conditions such
as a
car interior in summer.

I did mine only because of grit in the helicoid and other problems.  I am not
sure I
would have had the courage to have tackled my lens if it had just been stiff.

Giles