Re: [OM] Sigma 14mm/3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Sigma 14mm/3.5
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 22:27:06 -0800
William Sommerwerck wrote:

>>Of course, Olympus makes nothing wider than 18mm, and there's a big
>>difference between 14mm and 18mm, so if you want something that wide,
>>there aren't many choices.

Foxy (and others) inquire:

>Don't they make the 16mm?

The original author (RLH?) neglected to mention that the 14mm Sigma is
a rectilinear lens, not a fisheye.  AFAIK, only Nikon made a 13mm or 12mm
rectilinear, which was/is special order only, and horrendously expensive.
Pentax made a very nice 15mm F3.5 for its A-series bodies.

George Anderson wrote:

>AFAIK, the 16/3.5 [Zuiko] is still available new.

Yup, B&H will gladly sell you one.  The price?  A measly $1049.95 !!!

>Shawn Wright wrote:
>>
>> The Zuiko 16mm/3.5 is a little gem - showed excellent contrast and
>> sharpness. [It] seems to be fairly common used, at around $600 CDN here.

That's a GREAT price!  Almost justifies the air fare to Vancouver, BC. :-)
The last one I saw in KEH catalog was listed at US$645, and disappeared
the next month.

Ok, back to the original subject:

The old-style 14mm Sigma is well made and sturdy (I never tried one in
OM mount though).  It produces respectable results, and was in continuous
production for a very long time, incl. an AF version.  Recently, Sigma
released an update -- 14mm f2.8 lens, alas in AF only. :-(

Why one would need AF at 14mm focal length is simply beyond me...

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx