[OM] Coyotes

Subject: [OM] Coyotes
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:51:12 -0700
>There is a coyote or two in my area and I would like to know if anyone has
>any >suggestions on how I can attract them into range of my 300mm f4.5
>Zuiko?

Don't stake out a rabbit and torture it.  You can buy audio cassettes made
under the watchful eye of the animal protection folks that have prey
critter distress sounds on them.  Set out a tape recorder playing the tape
in view of your "blind" (concealed camera location/tripod) and wait quietly
for what may be a long time.  Hand operated or blow into them by mouth
coyote calls are also sold at sporting goods (hunting outfitters) but may
require practice and more skill.  Charlie Coyote is not a dumb critter and
will likely approach with caution and maybe some circling.  Don't be
alarmed if they get close to you, just stay quiet and still until their
back is turned to you before moving when they are close.  Note:  There are
no verified authentic cases of humans being killed in North America by
wolves, much less by coyotes.

Good luck,

Patrick