[OM] Screen spots

Subject: [OM] Screen spots
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 07:24:41 -0700
>    Not sure what happened. One morning I picked up my Om10 and saw three or
>four black specks on the screen. Tried canned air to no avail. I don't want
>to venture any further without some advice (I've already ruined a screen im
>the past this way). What is it about screens that makes them so fragile
>anyway?

Once the bane of fiberglass boat owners (fibre glass in England or GRP
Glass Reinforced Plastic) polyester mites smaller than the microscopic
mites that live on human eye lashes and eat dead skin) have been observed
attacking aging plastic (polyester (in non-fiber/fibre form and closely
related variants) in certain medical (especially low cost reusable
anesthetic application and dispensing/metering devices) equipment and as
reported recently, some plastic parts of certain older optical equipments.
Evidence of attack is small black splotches, often microscopic for extended
periods at early stages of infestation but grow within weeks to discernable
size as the mites seem to feed on the surface molecules of plastic where
ozone attack and or photolysis has chemically altered the substrate matrix.
http://www.jou-anesthetics.co.uk/recent-findings/ADN-251

Be patient, their having a lot of connectivity and server difficulties.

Hope this helps, especially you Ken N.

Patrick