Re: [OM] here is an interesting question...

Subject: Re: [OM] here is an interesting question...
From: duncanm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:15:23 +1000
Well,

  Multi/single-coatings are used to reduce unwanted reflections
at any air/glass boundary.

  You will still have the disadvantages of SC lens elements if you
put a MC filter on the front. On top of that, you have now introduced
two more air/glass boundaries between film and subject; with their
corresponding unwanted reflections.

  You have made things *worse* by putting the glass there
(no matter how good the filter coatings are).

  If you want best performance out of your lens (SC or MC or no coatings),
DON'T use a filter (unless you want a specific effect), and use a matched
lens hood or shade the front element.

    duncan

Alexander <mediadyne@xxxxxx> on 19/01/99 08:14:41

Please respond to olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx