Re: [OM] Black specks on Focusing screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Black specks on Focusing screen
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:06:51 +0200
Gary wrote:

>>Not sure what happened. One morning I picked up my OM-10 and saw three or
>>four black specks on the screen. Tried canned air to no avail. I don't want
>>to venture any further without some advice (I've already ruined a screen im
>>the past this way).
>
>Check the foam inside the mirror chamber.  It's supposed to absorb the
>shock when the mirror jumps up.  When this foam dries up, it often starts
>crumbling, and the pieces end up on the focusing screen.  These specks
>can be sticky.  It's easy enough to clean the removable screens, but
>you have an OM-10...  Canned air and VERY gentle prodding with a Q-tip
>should do the trick.
>
>>What is it about screens that makes them so fragile anyway?
>
>Hmm, that's a tough question, and the answer is <drum roll, pls>: Olympus!
>Now, think for a moment.  Basically, it's the same question that someone
>asked before wrt the TTL connectors.  These are unique products, without
>any competition (well, there are Beattie screens), and made for a captive
>audience.  Are you REALLY surprised that they cost so much, and are maybe
>not as durable as they could be?

The screens are fragile because of the used material - plastic. The price
for these screens has increased more than that of any other equipment in
the last 10 years. 10 years ago, the costed less than 30 DM, nowadays they
cost almost 100 DM here in Germany. Because of this high price, I have
tried a Chinese sreen and now I know, that the Olympus screens are really
high precision products. The Chinese one is flary and unsharp (despite
fitting in the right plane). When cleaning a screen, I would only use air,
destilled water or a clean natural hair cosmetic brush to touch the screen,
not the ugly brush, which comes with the screen. With this brush it is
possible to produce scratches you can see through the viewfinder. With the
OM-10 and its fixed screen, cleaning is difficult or just impossible. You
maybe worsen the situation when trying to clean the screen. The
interchangeable screens of OM-1,2,3,4 make it possible to use a clean
viewfinder all the time.

Matthias