[OM] Zuiko S lenses, early use of plastique

Subject: [OM] Zuiko S lenses, early use of plastique
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 00:42:13 +0200
Hello all,

some list members wondered about the few S Zuikos and why they are called
in this way. My thesis is, that these lenses were the first in the Zuiko
line, which used plastique. If you know such a lens, you find a plastic
aperture ring. Further they were the first lenses, which had a bayonet ring
made out of two parts, not manufacturered out of one piece as with earlier
and till nowadays better zuiko lenses. Olympus seemed to be to "shy" or
conservative to indroduce this material without a "warning". In this
connection, I have an experience with the Canon FTb. This camera my father
bought in 1976 and with the help of it I learned the meaning of aperture
and exposure time. Later (a few years ago), the shutter broke and I
replaced it by a very cheap FTb, which I found in a shop. The broken FTb
was the second "edition" of this first Canon FD camera, the replacement
camera is the first "edition". When I opened the bottom plates of both
models, I encountered, that one of the "improvements" of the second edition
was the indroduction of plastic gears as part of the film advance
mechanism. Can you imagine, without a warning they exchanged the brass
gears in this important part of the camera with plastic gears and told the
user / buyer, that he / she buys a better product than before ?

Matthias