Re: [OM] Manual needed

Subject: Re: [OM] Manual needed
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:32:34 +0100
Hello Wolfgang,

I do have the F280 manual but it is only in some obscure languages: Dutch,
Italian, Danish, Swedish and Finlands (or is that Fins?). I guess you can
get a German version from Olympus (the flash is still availabe!), probably
also for the OM-707.

But this flash is so heart warming simple, I can tell everything about it in
just a few words.

For the OM-707, there's only one position of the three way Mode Switch
applicable: 'Normal', to the very right. The camera will automatically
switch from TTL Normal Auto to Super FP when available light yields a
shutter speed of 1/100 (the sync time) or shorter. You can confirm which
mode will be used by looking at the leds above this switch: either of them
will burn. The led for 'Normal' will blink after correct exposure; the led
for 'FP' will always blink after an FP exposure.
The manual contains the following flash distance guides for 100 ASA with a
50/1.8 lens :

Normal OTF: 1-7 m.

Super FP: depends on shutter speed; the table ignores the influence of
available light:
1/100 - 3.9 m.
1/125 - 2.8 m.
1/250 - 1.9 m.
1/500 - 1.6 m.
1/1000 - 1.1 m.
1/2000 - 0.8 m.

In other words, a nice day light fill flash but only for very short
distances.
Under low light conditions the AF assist ligh will be activated, making you
believe you're holding a unique OM camera :-)
There are two special accessoiries available for this flash: a Wide Adapter
to diffuse the light and cover a 21 mm lens (w/o it, a 24 mm is covered),
and a 0.6 m. Shoe Cord for off-camera flash bracket mounting.

Regarding the OM-707, I do have a data sheet in my Olympus Sales Information
File about this camera, so if you have any questions about it, feel free to
ask. There's also a German book on this camera you may want to order when
you've discovered the On/Off switch is not the only one :-). It's written by
Richard Huenecke, called "Olympus OM 707 Autofokus", published by Laterna
magica, ISBN 3-87467-320-0.
This book is very honest about the many shortcomings of this camera :-(

Hans