Re: [OM] Another B&H story

Subject: Re: [OM] Another B&H story
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 06:06:09 -0500
At 04:55 AM 1/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Periodically there is discussion about the merits and demerits of various
mail
>order businesses, esp. those in New York City.  While B&H gets high praise, I
>thought it was worth relating something I just learned of today.

[snip]

>In getting together lenses for the next round of lens testing, I decided to
>ask him if I could borrow his f/1.4  I always assumed that it was a multi-
>coated one, since he bought it so recently.  Low and behold, it turns out to
>be a single coated with a silver rim.  Hum, why would B&H be selling one of
>those in 1997?  If any store would have sold fresh stock (i.e., the
>multicoated one), it would have been our old trusty B&H, right?  Well, . . .

About a year ago I was in B&H buying something (I think a macro twin flash)
and I was inquiring as to the availablity of some other Oly items. I
expressed suprise that they had a couple things new that I thought were
long discontinued (and wouldn't the 50 1.4 be one of those?) and the rep
told me that they find new stuff like this around the world. He told me
they had recently received a large shipment og Oly stuff from Saudi Arabia!

I assume they buy from wholesalers and retailers in countries that have
excess inventory. I guess in this case someone didn't habve the savvy to
really inspect the goods.

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com