OT photo storage formats (was: [OM] Re:OT, Jpg, was: Lordly Com...)

Subject: OT photo storage formats (was: [OM] Re:OT, Jpg, was: Lordly Com...)
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:29:49 -0800
>From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Formats such as TIFF, GIF etc use non-lossy compression, i.e. all the
>information in the original is retained throughout the compression /
>decompression process.
>
>JPEG gives you nice small files for use on the web etc, but you will lose
>information when you use it...
>...  AFAIK only the JPEG and MPEG formats suffer from this.

I've been playing with Genuine Fractal's compressor. They claim to support
both lossless and more efficient, but lossy, compression. (When you save,
there's a radio-button choice between the two.) They also claim that their
format looks better when up-sampled (well, technically, it isn't really
sampling...)

They do this by describing the photograph in terms of mathematical formulae
-- similar to the way PostScript describes line art. It sounds fascinating,
but unfortunately is moderately expensive at $199.

They have a free viewer, and a free demo compressor (Photoshop plug-in)
that has a limit of 1500x1500 pixels. The demo also marks the output with
their logo, albeit unobtrusively in the lower left corner. I think
<http://www.altamira-group.com> will reach them.

I'm in the process of evaluating their claims of improved blow-ups, based
on the demo version, before I sink the price of a Zuiko 85/2 into it. I
have no connection with this company. My name is Jan, and I'm a
technohalic...

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229