Re: [OM] FS: More exciting offerings

Subject: Re: [OM] FS: More exciting offerings
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:00:48 EST
Amidst Jay's between the item grumblings was this bit of critique:

> Motor Drive 2 (BGN), NiCd battery unit and charger, w/instructions. It
> shows
>  > some paint wear on the base where I set it down. I can't get the battery
> check
>  > light to work even with fresh button batteries, but the data display, the
>  > light and the drive itself work fine. Best offer over $150
>
>  Huh? The battery check light on the NiCd pack is independent of the button
>  cells in the drive, and the light in the drive doesn't turn on unless the
>  NiCd pack is turned on...or is my MD 2 broken in the same way?

I'm not a Motor Drive Group expert, so I defer to the owner, who writes:
***
I went back to the instruction manual to see if I was doing something wrong.
Surprisingly, there is nothing in the manual itself. The only reference to the
battery check light is in the fold out instruction sheet that came with the
Ni-Cd Control Pack 2 and the last illustration, #7, shows the check light
illuminated with the comment "After the shutter is released, wait at least an
hour to check battery."  Strange condition.

I remember pushing the button on occasions and noting that it did not work and
thinking that I needed to change the button batteries.  I just installed new
button batteries and recharged the pack to test it.  [Jay] is right, the
button batteries power the display and the display light, only when mounted on
the body and the system is turned on. The check light still doesn't
illuminate, but the display and the drive work.

It follows that it might need a new bulb, but I don't know how to install one
or where to get one, for that matter.

The bottom line is that the unit works fine. I never paid any attention to the
battery check.  When the drive became noticeably slower, I just recharged it.

Hope these comments help. I will be glad to send photos. I will also accept
the unit back within 14 days after sale if it is not satisfactory.
****
Thanks for getting us to look more into this, Jay.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV