Re: [OM] Ricoh out of the USA market

Subject: Re: [OM] Ricoh out of the USA market
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:46:18 +0200
Gary wrote:

>I learned from a camera store owner that Ricoh has just pulled out of the USA
>market with its 35mm manual focus cameras and lenses.  One more manufacturer
>bites the dust in the states.  For those wondering, Ricoh had equipment with
>the Pentax K mount.

It's a little bit like history repeating, in the fifties, there were many
small and good manufacturers in Germany, who offered a broad range of SLR
and rangefinder cameras. Then they were superseded by many small and more
succesfull Japanese manufacturers. Only Leica was able to survive as a SLR
manufacturer and in East Germany it was Praktica. Praktica was very
succesfull for example in England till its end. Since the last 10 - 15
years, many of those Japanese manufacturers were superseded by the few
remaining (also Japanese) companies, who behave in the right way, the way
in which a modern joint-stock corporation must behave. There seems to be no
place for such specialized, small companies like the German ones in the
fifties and later many of the Japanese ones in the photo market.

Matthias