[OM] Shooting in the cold

Subject: [OM] Shooting in the cold
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:13:55 -0700
><< I get the feeling that few of you have actually taken pictures at -20 and
> thereabouts.  The first and last time I did, (with an OM-1 mind you - that
>had
> been out awhile), the film stock cracked and ripped as I tried to advance...

I have taken a considerable number of rolls of both slide and print film,
color and B&W at temps of -40 or so (now was that C or F?  doesn't matter
its the same)  I used a Kodak Retina Reflex S.  But I am sure any of my
OM-1 or OM-2 bodies would have worked just fine.  You simply do not leave
the camera exposed to the environment longer than neccessary.  The rest of
the time the prudent photog keeps the camera inside his parka (arctic
flying jacket, USAF issue) the top layer of a multi layered clothing
ensemble.  Im my case the film advance began to get cranky (difficult) well
before the film got to the broken sprockets stage neccesitating returning
it to the under the parka mode for a little warming prior to continuing to
shoot.  It also helps to put the lense cover in place before putting the
camera in the warm up position.

I survived 3 consecutive winters each of which had me outside at temps
colder than -40 where wind chill was reported in the length of time it
would take on average to freeze exposed flesh.  Several times the chill
factor was reported as "less than 10 seconds"  A friend of mine was often
the "alert photog" and had to brave these conditions at a moments notice
day or night with a speed graphic. ( a bit tough to put under your parka)

Patrick