Re: [OM] was Battery drain -> Frozen Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] was Battery drain -> Frozen Photography
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:04:44 -0500 (EST)
> This explains it!  I've always found that around zero Fahrenheit (about -17
> Celsius) was the lower limit for film base, after which I'd always crack the
> stuff trying to advance it in a camera (ANY camera...).  -20 Fahrenheit is
> about -28 Celsius, and that's just too damn cold for film, in my experience.

Although I don't doubt that film can crack at low temperatures, I don't think
that -17C is the point where that occurs in modern day films.  I've left
a roll of Kodak Royal Gold in my truck for the past week.  Every morning
I've checked the leader for flexibility and cracking, any so far I've been
unable to get it to crack.  This morning the temperature was -21C, a bit
colder than the other days, and still the film is very pliable.  We're
expecting the temperature to go down to about -24C by mid week so we'll
see if that has any impact.

I searched the Kodak web site for information on this. The only thing I
could find was a reference to shooting movie film stock in low temperatures
(http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/support/technical/nature.shtml).
They talk about two different film bases, one of which seems to have problems
below the freezing point.  Perhaps older 35mm camera film used this as a base.

> Even if it survived the advancing, I'd often get "lightning tracks" across
> the film from static electricity build-up and discharge.  (Made for some
> very interesting photos, many years ago.)

Yup, that's definitly something to look out for, with low temperatures
usually comes very low humidity which can cause a lot of static electricity.
Advance the film slowly and don't use any kind of a motor drive, especially
to rewind the film.
                                -mark