Re: [OM] Frozen Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Frozen Photography
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 08:45:51 -0500

OK since somebody commented (it's slipped by for over a week) after I sent that
off I had more and more misgivings at having sent it.  The film did shatter, but
I'm not sure about the actual temperature.  I can tell you that it was in
February of 1976 in Minot, North Dakota, USA, during the total solar eclipse and
that the film was Kodak Ektachrome 200 (I just found the end of the 100 ft roll
still in an old bulk loader - wonder what ASA I should use with it now?).  And
while it's true I remember the temp as being -20 F (and for some reason had the
idea that this was a range where C & F run together for awhile) if I'm doing the
conversion correctly it would be -29C which doesn't seem that much colder to me
(unless it's enough to freeze film!), not even enough to freeze spit before it
hits the ground...  Actually this is one of the things I regret most about the
US's incomplete switch to metric, while I have a feel for what a liter or meter
is, just knowing that it's 10C somewhere in the world gives me no feel at all
for COLD! HOT! or just right! and knowing that one place is +5C hotter than
another is completely meaningless without doing the conversion.

oh and "motorcity2" is just a machine name, I'm based near Boston...
-Steve

Buddy Walters <ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx> writes:
   Hi Steven,
   I think Hans was referring to -20 Celsius,  While you from the USA
   'Motorcity'
   are probably referring to -20 Fahrenheit.  A considerable difference.
   BW

   Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
   << I get the feeling that few of you have actually taken pictures at -20 and
    thereabouts.  The first and last time I did, (with an OM-1 mind you - that
   had been out awhile), the film stock cracked and ripped as I tried to advance